Empowered by Josh Bernoff and Ted Schadler
What Is The Central Idea Behind Empowered?
Companies must respond to their customers' escalating power. Their employees are ready to do so. The challenge is to encourage technology innovation without generating chaos.
In Empowered, Josh and Ted demonstrate how companies can successfully transform their business through the employees called HEROes (highly empowered and resourceful operatives).
We list some of the key ideas here.
Effort-Value Evaluation For HERO Projects
Before starting or supporting a HERO project, you need to determine if the project's value is in line with the effort required. Our HERO Project Effort-Value Evaluation walks you through that analysis.
Peer Influence Analysis
Overall, people generate 500 billion online influence impressions on each other about products and services every year. And this influence is highly concentrated — 16% of the people generate 80% of the influence. Peer Influence Analysis identifies and analyzes these mass influencers by industry.
IDEA: A Framework For Remaking Marketing And Service
In a HERO-powered business, managers across all customer-facing departments need to connect with empowered customers. Here's the four-step game plan with the mnemonic IDEA:
- Identify the mass influencers. Concentrate on the people most likely to spread messages about your company.
- Deliver groundswell customer service. Reach out through groundswell channels and serve these vocal and influential customers.
- Empower your customers with information, especially mobile information. Keep people happy by surrounding them with the information they need.
- Amplify your fans. Find the people who love you, and boost the impact they have on their peers.
The HERO Compact
It takes three groups in collaboration to make customer-focused innovation possible and safe: IT, managers, and the HEROes themselves. Each has a role in supporting and managing HERO-driven innovation. The HERO Compact is a plan for how these groups can work together.
The HERO Index
The HERO Index assesses employees' readiness to contribute on two axes: Do they feel empowered, and can they act resourceful? We analyze employees on these scales by industry and job description.
Tools For IT Professionals
IT collaboration is a key contributor for any HERO-powered business. Empowered includes these tools for people in IT:
- An empowered security model that enhances innovation while protecting business assets.
- A social collaboration strategy and social media policy based on best practices to drive adoption and value.
- A cross-departmental governance model that includes IT, business, security, and HR staff.
- An innovation program to capture the best ideas of employees on the front line and in the back office.
- Platform initiatives to support mobility, cloud computing, and employee productivity.